Popular Posts

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Never in the history of human consumption has so much been owed by so many to tofu...

All right, I get it. Some folks don't want to eat meat, you know, flesh. I can understand that. I can't imagine doing it., but I can understand it. I mean veggies are no doubt better for you. Broccoli, Cauliflower, lettuce, squash, cucumbers and tomatoes, yummy. No problem, I can understand the attraction of vegetables. I love them. Give me a nice side salad any day. Notice I said side salad. Slide that bowl of crisp romaine dripping with yummy Caesar dressing crunchy croutons, salty and zippy Parmesan (especially fresh grated), slide it right in beside a nice lean sirloin, fresh from the brazier with those beautiful char marks, heaven!



So I can understand the attraction of vegetables because I share it. As a friend of mine is fond of saying, "You are preaching to the choir." I am already a convert In fact I don't even have a problem with someone not wanting to eat meat. I understand that there are legitimate health reasons for not eating meat. Especially commercially produced meat from modern factory farms. High fat content, possible contamination with e.coli or salmonella, steroid used to increase profits, use of antibiotics in feed, mad cow disease, there are a lot of reasons not to eat meat. Still... crispy bacon, a juicy burger, golden roast turkey, ummmmmmm! Yes I can understand why someone might not want to eat meat.


What I have never figured out is why someone who has forsaken meat would want to eat a veggie burger or a veggie dog? Have you tried them? They are typically appalling. A true debacle of culinary proportions. I mean, if you are a vegetarian, or better yet, a vegan, why on earth would you want to eat pseudo flesh? If you have made the decision to forsake the eating of your fellow animals why make a fake animal patty and then consume it? Why not have a nice veggie stir fry? Perhaps a piping hot serving of broccoli? Some carrot sticks? What is the fascination of mimicking the thing that you have forsaken? Why consume some dry, tasteless mass that only loosely resembles a beef patty in the first place? I remember one comedian who joked "Should Lesbians be allowed to use dildos, I mean they made their choice!" Haven't vegetarians made their choice?
I walked into a fast food restaurant the other day which shall remain Harvey's )I mean nameless). I had placed my order and was waiting for it to arrive. A guy came up behind me and inquired about the Veggie Burger, "Do they cook them on the same grill as the beef burgers?" "NO." replied the cashier, "They are cooked separately." "Fine" he replied "I'll take one." "Would you like bacon on that?" came the reply.

Life is all about choices!

No comments: